is the fifth CEFR English language level.
We provide the international CEFR description, followed by study targets and links to our free online English training.
At the end of English level C1, you can:
- a , and recognise implicit meaning.
- without much obvious searching for expressions.
- language for social, academic and professional purposes.
- on , with controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
(Adapted from the international CEFR framework. This is set out by the Council of Europe (2001) Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: learning, teaching, assessment.)
Here are our study targets for the key components of.
You can also click on different items for free online English lessons, which include descriptions of each language point, examples and quizzes.
English communication (C1)
- Expressing feelings and attitudes
- Emphasising an issue or a feeling
- Expressing opinions tentatively
- Developing an argument systematically
- Negotiating and conceding
- Describing cause and effect
- Expressing empathy and sympathy
- Expressing reservations
- Speculating about events in past, present, future
- Discussing complex subjects in detail
English vocabulary (C1)
- Life experiences and lifestyles
- Books and literature
- Money and business
- News and current affairs
- Global issues
- Scientific developments
- Vague language
- Colloquial expressions
- Idiomatic expressions
- Futures (revision)
- Passives (all forms)
- Compound adjectives and modifying gradable adjectives
- Adverbs and adverbial phrases: degree
- Modals in the past
- Mixed conditionals
- Ellipsis and substitution
- Adding emphasis – cleft sentences
- Adding emphasis – inversion with negative adverbials
- Multiword verbs
You can also develop faster by taking English courses with qualified English teachers.
English for Work and English Exams
You may now want to focus on specific areas, such as:
- English for Work. This includes Business English, Legal English and more.
- English examinations. You can also prepare for one of the internationally-recognised English proficiency exams, and some of the most popular and the Cambridge exams and IELTS.
Our Teachers for these Courses
English and Chinese Mandarin Language Courses.
English, Arabic and Norwegian Lessons. Part time Worker.